Amazing Health Benefits of Dates
- Dates the “paradise fruit”, is considered as one of the most nutritious and delicious fruit with several health benefits.
- Dates are a good source of vitamin B6 and contain some folate.
- Dates contain dietary fibre, which is essential for a healthy bowel.
- Dates contain a brain booster.
- In Qatar, Dates are the first agricultural export product.
Dates or Date Palm scientific name is “Phoenix dactylifera”. Dates are originated around Iraq and have been cultivated since ancient times from Mesopotamia to prehistoric Egypt. The date fruit is a “drupe,” in which its outer fleshy part surrounds a shell of hardened endocarp with a seed inside. Fresh dates are small in size and range in colour from bright red to bright yellow. Dates are chewy with a sweet flavour.
Grown in India: The major date palm growing areas in India are Kutch (Gujarat), Rajasthan, and certain parts of Punjab, as well as Tamil Nadu State to some extent. In Tamil, it is called as “Pericham Pazham”.
|Total lipid (fat)||g||0.39|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||g||75.03|
|Fiber, total dietary||g||8|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||mg||0.4|
|Vitamin A, RAE||µg||0|
|Vitamin A, IU||IU||10|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||mg||0.05|
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3)||µg||0|
|Vitamin K (phylloquinone)||µg||2.7|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||g||0.032|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||g||0.036|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||g||0.019|
|Fatty acids, total trans||g||0|
|Source:USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference|
INCREDIBLE BENEFITS OF DATES
1. Lowers cholesterol
Dates are cholesterol-free fruit and contain a small amount of fat. If we include them in a smaller quantity in our daily diet it can help us to keep a check on cholesterol level, and even assist in weight loss.
Dates are a strong source for proteins that help us in staying fit, and even keep our muscles strong. Regular gym-goers are recommended to eat a couple of dates every day as part of their daily routine.
3. Rich in vitamins
Dates consist of vitamins such as B1, B2, B3, and B5, as well as A1 and C. If you eat a few dates every day, you don’t have to take vitamin supplements. Not only it will keep you healthy, but it also makes a noticeable change in your energy levels as well because dates contain natural sugars such as glucose, sucrose, and fructose, too. It works really like a quick snack.
4. Improves bone health
Dates contain selenium, manganese, copper, and magnesium and all of these keeps your bone health and prevent conditions such as osteoporosis.
5. Strengthens the nervous system
Dates are rich in potassium, contain little sodium, and that goes a long way in keeping your nervous system in order. The potassium helps to reduce cholesterol and keeps the risk of a stroke in check.
6. Rich in iron
Dates are rich in iron, which is highly recommended for those who suffer from iron deficiency. Iron-deficiency anaemia may cause fatigue or tiredness, shortness of breath, or chest pain. it’s great for blood purification as well.
7. Promotes digestion
If you soak a few dates in water and chew on them daily, your digestive system will behave itself very well. Due to its high fibre content, it is recommended to eat dates if you trouble with constipation.
8. Improves skin
Dates contain vitamins C and D that works on your skin’s elasticity and also keeps your skin smooth. Taking dates into your diet might help you to avoid skin problems in the long run. Dates also come with anti-aging benefits and they prevent the accumulation of melanin in your body, which otherwise has undesirable effects.
9. Assists in weight gain
The sugar, proteins, and other vitamins present in the fruit help in weight gain. Incidentally, it’s said that if dates are eaten with cucumber, it helps to keep your weight at a normal level.
IMPORTANT TIPS AND FACTS
1. The Ancient Egyptians used the fruits to make date wine and ate them at harvest.
2. Dates have been a staple food of the Middle East and the Indus Valley for thousands of years.
3. Fresh and dried dates have a similar appearance, except that dried dates are a little wrinkly.
4. Fresh dates, when kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator, can be stored for up to 6 months.
5. Dates are so versatile they can be added to cakes, puddings, biscuits or used in stews, tagines, in stuffing or salads.
6. The date syrup is a clarified and concentrated liquid that is extracted from date fruit.
SIDE EFFECTS OF DATES
1. Might Cause Abdominal Issues
2. Can Cause Skin Rashes
3. Can Cause Asthma Attacks
4. Can Cause Weight Gain
5. Can Lead to Fructose Intolerance