Fantastic Health Benefits of White Pepper
- White Pepper is one of the world’s favourite spices in history.
- White Pepper is a variety of pepper, also known as a peppercorn.
- White Pepper is rich in minerals such as manganese, copper, and magnesium.
- White Pepper is rich in flavonoids, Vitamins C and Vitamin A.
- White Pepper also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- White Pepper can speed up your digestion and gut motility.
- White Pepper has hotter taste in comparison to black pepper due to the presence of piperine compound.
- White Pepper has very few calories and adds a lot of flavour to our dish.
The Scientific name of White Pepper is ‘Piper nigrum’. White Pepper belongs to the Piperaceae family. The natural habitat of White Pepper is in Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and India. White Pepper is obtained by removing the outer skin of the ripe or matured green berries or dried black pepper. The White Pepper berries are light yellow greyish in color and nearly globular in shape.
Grown in India: India is the 4th largest pepper producer in the world. Pepper cultivation plays a key role in India’s exports. It is cultivated in Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. In Tamil, it is called as “Vellai milaku”.
|Total lipid (fat)||g||2.12|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||g||68.61|
|Fiber, total dietary||g||26.2|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||mg||21|
|Vitamin A, RAE||µg||0|
|Vitamin A, IU||IU||0|
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3)||µg||0|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||g||0.626|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||g||0.789|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||g||0.616|
|Fatty acids, total trans||g||0|
|Source:USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference|
HEALTH BENEFITS OF WHITE PEPPER
1. Prevents cancer
White Pepper is well known for immune-enhancing properties. White Pepper prevents the formation of free radicals in the body. Capsaicin present in White Pepper which helps in preventing the occurrence of prostate cancer. Prostate cancer affects many males globally and is considered a serious disease. The regular intake of White Pepper is good for prostate health.
2. Prevents inflammation
The capsaicin in the White Pepper also has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in the prevention of arthritis and muscle swelling. White Pepper is useful in the treatment of muscle cramps that may occur when one has stretched muscles due to walking or doing strenuous exercise.
3. Prevents headache
White Pepper is also quite helpful in treating headaches and when consumed which releases a substance called capsaicin that is present in abundance in white pepper. This substance helps to relieve headaches.
4. Reduces blood pressure
Since White Pepper is rich in flavonoids, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. It may help in lowering high blood pressure, promoting cardiovascular health of hypertension facing patients. White Pepper ensures the blood flow is regulated and helps in the prevention of heart attacks. Keeping the blood pressure under control may reduce the chances of occurrence of a stroke.
5. Energy Booster
Not only do white peppers spice foods up, but they can also spice us up by boosting the energy production in our mitochondria, which is a component in our cells responsible for energy generation. White peppers contain manganese, which is an essential ingredient for some enzymes in mitochondria to work for producing energies as well as fighting against free radicals.
6. Dental Health
White Pepper powder is used to get relief from toothaches when used in combination with clove oil or table salt. The dental-related usage goes a long way, they can even be used as prevention against tooth decay.
7. Treating Some Skin Conditions
The presence of piperine compound in White Pepper can increase the bioavailability of other nutrients such as beta-carotene, Vitamin B6, curcumin, selenium and even amino acids, to be easier for the body to assimilate. The piperine may help in treating skin conditions such as Vitiligo. Vitiligo is a kind of skin disease in which some areas of the skin lose pigmentation, render them pale.
8. Weight Loss
Piperine is also found to be an effective weight-loss substance, especially fat loss. The research suggested that piperine can block the formation of fat cells, thus keeping the body fat in check.
9. Bone Health
White peppers contain useful minerals such as manganese, copper, and magnesium. Manganese is an essential mineral to have for maintaining bone health, combined with the other two, the effects manifold. Copper has similar effects as manganese, while magnesium plays an important role in keeping the joints healthy and prevent inflammations.
IMPORTANT TIPS & FACTS OF WHITE PEPPER
1. White Pepper is available as a whole, cracked and ground.
2. Whole peppercorns should be stored in a cool dark place whereas ground pepper is best stored in the refrigerator.
3. Use the White Pepper in cream soups and fish dishes.
4. White Pepper powder is used in Indian cuisine for cream-based gravies, white and curries.
5. White Pepper is used mostly in light-coloured dishes like white sauce and mashed potatoes.
6. White Pepper is aromatic; any dish that needs aroma, a lavish dose of White Pepper is used.
7. White Pepper is used as a flavouring agent.
SIDE EFFECTS OF WHITE PEPPER
1. Excessive use of White Pepper causes irritation and agitation.
2. Avoid by people with gastritis, ulcer, and kidney inflammatory disease.
3. Sometimes White Pepper can cause a burning sensation in the mouth.
4. White Pepper can also cause discomfort in some people when they take it in the hot summer season.