Surprising Health Benefits of Egg Fruit
- Egg Fruit is also called as “yellow sapote”.
- Egg Fruit is a good source of Niacin.
- Egg Fruit is good for eye health as it is a source of Carotene.
- Egg Fruit is used to cure Insomnia and Depression.
- Egg Fruit is good for the immune system as it has Ascorbic acid.
Canistel is colloquially called “Egg Fruit”. Canistel is scientifically known as Pouteria campechiana. It is an evergreen tree native to and cultivated in, southern Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, and El Salvador. It is cultivated in some other countries such as Costa Rica, Brazil, the United States, the Dominican Republic, Australia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, and the Philippines. When it is ripe, it is said to have a texture similar to the cooked egg yolk. Seeds are a few large blacks or dark brown Inside the fruit.
Grown in India: Egg Fruit grows in Maharashtra throughout the Western Ghats, Kerala, limited parts of Tamil Nadu, and it’s also a hobby fruit in a few gardens of Auroville. In Tamil, it is called as “Muttai Pazham”.
INCREDIBLE BENEFITS OF EGG FRUIT
1. Lowers the risk of diabetes
Canistel is a rich source of niacin. A chemical substance known as Niacinamide is a constituent of niacin that has been effective in preventing diabetes. According to research, niacinamide helps in improving the effectiveness of oral drugs that are used in the treatment of diabetes. In addition to the effects of niacin, the fibre contained in this fruit also helps in regulating blood sugar levels.
2. Treats osteoarthritis
Niacin and Niacinamide present in Canistel is used for the treatment of arthritis. Niacinamide helps in improving joint mobility and niacin helps in developing muscle strength, rebuilding worn-out cartilage and in reducing the weakness of joints and muscles. Niacin has an anti-inflammatory effect, which is a good remedy for rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Good for the eyes
Canistel is also a rich source of provitamin A carotenoids. These carotenoids are converted into Vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential for good vision. It is found to be effective for the treatment of dry eyes. Carotenoids have antioxidant properties and hence protect the eyes from the harmful effects of free radicals. They play an important role in lowering the risks of cataract and age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
4. Boosts the immune system
Canistel is a good source of vitamin C or ascorbic acid, which is an effective immune booster. It is believed that vitamin C is used as a remedy for the common cold and flu. Several studies reveal that vitamin C helps in reducing the duration of colds and also in reducing the risk of developing other problems, such as pneumonia and lung infections.
5. Digestive health
Canistel is an excellent source of dietary fibre, making it a perfect fruit for improving the health of your digestive system. The fibre helps in promoting regular bowel movements by adding bulk to the stools and removing it easily from the system. As a result, you are protected from digestive disorders like constipation and irregular bowel syndrome. Fibre also helps in regulating the blood glucose levels and in eliminating the bad cholesterol from the body.
6. Great source of iron
Canistel contains a huge amount of iron, a mineral that offers many health benefits. The most important function of iron is that it helps in the production of haemoglobin that aids in the transportation of oxygen to all parts of the body. Iron is important for maintaining muscle health as it is present in the tissues of the muscles and supplies oxygen needed for the contraction of muscles. Iron also helps to maintain the elasticity and tone of muscles. Iron supplies oxygen to the brain and hence is associated with the health of the brain and the nervous system. Proper blood flow in the brain helps in developing cognitive activity and in preventing nervous system disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Sufficient amounts of iron in our body helps in preventing iron deficiency called anaemia, which is characterized by headaches, fatigue, body weakness, and high sensitivity to cold temperatures. Iron also plays a major role in improving the functioning of the immune system.
7. Bountiful in Antioxidants
Egg fruit carries huge amounts of antioxidants, particularly polyphenols. The health benefit that comes from antioxidants is thought to be vital in preventing chronic and fatal diseases such as cancer, heart disease, obesity, and metabolic diseases.
IMPORTANT TIPS AND FACTS OF EGG FRUIT
1. The fruit is picked when mature (yellow colour) and can be stored at room temperature for 3 to 10 days.
2. If you wish to store the flesh you can freeze it for up to 6 months. Before freezing, mix the flesh with sugar.
3. For eating Canistel, first cut the fruit in half and get rid of the seeds. Then scoop the flesh using a spoon.
4. The ripe fruit is used for preparing jams, marmalade, cupcakes, and pancakes.
5. A great ingredient for making ice-cream.
6. The fruit is also used in the making of a sweet pie.
SIDE EFFECTS OF EGG FRUIT
1. Canistel fruit has a sweet flavour, so those who have been diagnosed with diabetes should avoid this fruit at all costs to prevent the spike of blood sugar levels.
2. Canistel is an excellent source for energy but those who are currently in a weight loss program should avoid this fruit.
3. Peoples who are allergic to fruit like star apple is better to avoid canistel fruit because they are the same family with similar texture, appearance, and flavour.