Top Health Benefits of Wood Apple
- Wood Apple is also known for its anti-microbial properties
- The pulp of Wood Apple is beneficial for digestion.
- The sweet pulp of the Wood Apple is filled with nutritious benefits with tannins, calcium, phosphorus, fibre, protein, and iron.
- Wood Apple is rich in Vitamin C, it helps prevent scurvy.
- Regular consumption of Wood Apple helps in the prevention of kidney problems.
- Wood Apple is also referred to as “Monkey Fruit”.
Wood Apple scientifically called as Limonia acidissima and it is a tropical fruit. Wood Apple is one of the edible fruits belongs to India and parts of Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia east to Java. The fruit gets its name called Wood Apple due to its hard rind. The Wood apple fruit contains the pulp which is covered by the outer shell. The outer shell is very hard and difficult to break. The pulp is aromatic, sticky, scattered with seeds and tastes bitter when it is maturing and sweet-sour when ripen.
Grown in India: The Various States growing this fruit include Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, and the western Himalayas. In Tamil, it is called as “Vizhaam Pazham”.
INCREDIBLE BENEFITS OF WOOD APPLE
1. Liver and Kidney health
Wood Apple contains huge amounts of antioxidants and several compounds that fight against free radicals and help in better functioning of the body. The pulp of the fruit also acts as a natural detoxifier and helps in protecting the Liver and Kidney health.
2. Regulates High Blood sugar
Blood glucose regulation is very important for the healthy functioning of the body. Fluoride is an important factor that influences blood glucose levels. Fluoride in drinking water increases the glucose tolerance of blood leading to high blood sugar (Fluoride-induced Hyperglycaemia). Wood Apple is useful in controlling such fluoride-induced hyperglycaemia as its pulp contains compounds like Saponins, Phytosterols, Flavonoids, Polyphenols and Ascorbic acid that are known for their ability to control high blood sugar.
3. Prevents sleeplessness
Root powder of Wood Apple is used to get rid of sleeplessness and enhances the quality of sleep. Prepare the root powder into a thick slurry by mixing with water and apply the slurry to the temple regions of your head and also to your forehead for getting good sleep.
4. Anti-microbial properties
Wood Apple is also known for its anti-microbial properties. Extracts taken from Limonia acidissima leaves, bark and fruit shell contains several compounds like estragole, coumarins, xanthotoxin that exhibits antimicrobial activity against several bacteria and fungi.
5. Cures Snakebites
In ancient times, the bark of the Wood Apple tree is used for the treatment of snakebites and the powder of Wood Apple fruit shell is used for treating bee stings.
6. Digestive Aid
Ripe Wood Apple is used as a digestive aid. In folk tradition, the leaves of Limonia acidissima are used for preventing digestive problems in children.
7. Anti-cancer Activity
Several studies on Wood Apple have exhibits that fruit extracts exhibited antimutagenic properties on breast cancer and Skin cancer.
8. Purify the Blood
As small as 50 mg of Wood Apple fruit juice mixed with warm water and sugar is suggested for blood purification and removal of toxins that cause extensive damage to the body. This fruit juice reduces the strain on the liver and kidneys, which are the normal lines of Defence against toxins.
9. Controls Diabetes
Eating a wood Apple on a regular and moderate basis is very beneficial for individuals with diabetes and for those who are at the risk of developing diabetes. Wood Apple is considered as a medium glycaemic index food which means if consumed in moderation, wood Apple prevents the sudden spike in the blood glucose level and thus helps in managing diabetes. Glycaemic index of food determines the rate at which a particular food item releases sugar into the bloodstream.
10. Reduces the Risk of Scurvy
Consuming wood Apple on a regular and moderate basis is very beneficial for reducing the development of scurvy. Scurvy is a potentially life-threatening condition caused by the deficiency of vitamin C in our system. It can lead to muscular pain, fatigue, fever, loss of appetite, bleeding gums, swollen gums, and weight loss, etc. This is due to the presence of vitamin C in it. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that not only protects our cells and tissues from the oxidative damage caused by the free radicals of the body but also relieves pain and inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory nature.
IMPORTANT TIPS & FACTS OF WOOD APPLE
1. Wood Apples are abundantly available in the winter season.
2. One can select ripe fruits by seeing the smell. The smell of ripe fruit is strong when compared to the raw fruits.
3. If the fruit is raw just keep the fruits in sunlight for about a day or two. That’s it the fruit will get ripen enough
4. Only consume ripe wood Apples and avoid consuming raw fruits as they are believed to causes hoarseness and throat pain.
5. Take care while breaking the shell of the fruit.
6. The pulp of the fruit can also be used for preparing sweets, chutney or curry for consuming.
7. In India, the celebrations of Vinayaka Chaturthi is associated with wood Apple.
8. According to Ayurveda, it is a treasure of multiple medicinal values.
SIDE EFFECTS OF WOOD APPLE
1. Some common allergic reactions that might occur because of wood Apple are swollen lips, stomach pain, skin rashes, itchy throat, etc.
2. Excessive intake of Wood Apple causes flatulence in the abdomen so the people with gastric problems should be careful while using it.
3. Consuming this fruit without a break causes a lack of normal flexibility, the atony of intestines and major flatulence.
4. The wood Apple fruit contains tannins that have a carcinogenic effect when used for a long period of time and may lead to miscarriages in pregnant women.